Let's start a revolution!

Let's start a revolution!
-A revolution where our money isn't sucked right out of our hands by major chains that pump out caustic product and convince us that we need it. Let's control what comes into our households, and if need be- make our own product. I've drawn a line in the sand as to what I'll put up with putting into me and my children, my pets, my house. Here's what I've learned:

4/6/13

Sunblock

I have a desperate allergy to most sunblock. Even the so called hypoallergenic stuff breaks me out in hives. This particular mixtures does really well and can be altered to reflect what level of protection that you want. Thank you Frisky of COCW for this recipe.

Ingredients
1 ounce oil blend (use any combination of the oils listed below)
1 ounce beeswax (adds waterproof properties)
1 ounce butter blend (shea butter, mango butter, or cocoa butter)
1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
0.36 ounces zinc oxide powder
30 drops essential oils, optional

 In a double boiler, over low heat, melt the oils, beeswax, and butters.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly prior to adding the vitamin E oil, zinc oxide powder, and essential oils. Note: Wear a mask when working with zinc oxide. Although it has not been proven harmful when used topically, inhaling the substance can be dangerous. Stir until zinc oxide is dissolved.

Pour into a push-up or roll-up dispenser. This recipe will produce a product similar to a lotion bar or sunscreen stick. You could easily clean out and re-purpose a used deodorant or lip balm container. But, if you want to buy a new one…I love these containers.

Allow to cool and harden on the counter overnight and then you’re good to go! During times of heavy sun and swim exposure be sure to reapply often for the best coverage.

Oils by SPF Ratings:
30 - 50: raspberry seed oil
30: carrot
20: wheat germ
6-10: shea butter.
4-10: sesame oil, coconut oil, hemp oil, avocado oil, soybean, and peanut oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment