Let's start a revolution!

Let's start a revolution!
-A revolution where our money isn't sucked right out of our hands by major chains that pump out caustic product and convince us that we need it. Let's control what comes into our households, and if need be- make our own product. I've drawn a line in the sand as to what I'll put up with putting into me and my children, my pets, my house. Here's what I've learned:

4/17/13

Healing Tea Tree Oil Foot Balm

I get a lot of dry skin on my feet, not to mention cracks on the heels. It comes with the territory of walking on hot FL pavement on occasion chasing after kids, dogs, cats: what have you. A lot of OTC remedies use urea to soften the skin on your feet. That's a fancy term for urine. I'd rather use this blend than pee on my foot.

Ingredients:
40 grams shea butter
20 grams sunflower oil
20 grams calendula infused oil
15 grams beeswax
10 grams jojoba oil
100 drops tea tree essential oil 

Measure out the shea butter into a glass measuring cup and place the measuring cup in a simmering water bath. Slowly bring the shea butter between 170 to 180 degrees F, and hold at that temp. for 20 minutes. The best way to do this is to use a thermometer and turn the heat up or down to maintain the 170 to 180 degrees.

Measure the sunflower oil, calendula infused oil, jojoba oil and beeswax into another heat-safe cup.  After the shea butter has been heating for 10 minutes, add the cup with the oils and wax to the simmering water bath.  Allow it to melt and warm for the remaining 10 minutes.

After 20 minutes of holding the shea butter at the proper temp. and melting the beeswax and oils together, combine the two.

Add in the tea tree essential oil and stir to combine.

Carefully pour the hot oil into a 4-ounce container. Allow to cool in the fridge until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment