Let's start a revolution!

Let's start a revolution!
-A revolution where our money isn't sucked right out of our hands by major chains that pump out caustic product and convince us that we need it. Let's control what comes into our households, and if need be- make our own product. I've drawn a line in the sand as to what I'll put up with putting into me and my children, my pets, my house. Here's what I've learned:

4/17/13

Quick & Dirty Mason Jar Beeswax Candles

We get a lot of hurricanes down here in South Florida, so there's always a need for candles. Once again- cue the allergy gong- I can't deal with most candles. That means I either get pure beeswax or soy. Here's a way to make them yourself in a handy windproof jar.

Ingredients:
beeswax
mason jars
candle wick (craft store)
scissors
masking tape.

Begin by heating up the wax on the stove in a pot to 140°F. You don't want the temperature to exceed 185°F. Pour a small layer into the base of a jar and place a piece of candle wick into the center of the jar. Hold this in place until the wax is dry enough to where the the wick stays in place.

Next, make an X with tape over the top of the jar, poke a hole through the top and pull the wick through. Fill up the jar with melted wax til the desired height. We filled ours 1/2 an inch from the top. After the wax is completely solid, cut the wick so that it's 1/2 inch tall from the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment