Let's start a revolution!

Let's start a revolution!
-A revolution where our money isn't sucked right out of our hands by major chains that pump out caustic product and convince us that we need it. Let's control what comes into our households, and if need be- make our own product. I've drawn a line in the sand as to what I'll put up with putting into me and my children, my pets, my house. Here's what I've learned:

6/1/13

Herbal Vapor Balm

We all grew up with parents slathering Vicks on us. Or if you're like my previous mother in law, she'd rub it on her face, too. This is a balm that I'd feel safe rubbing on my face if need be or feel okay putting on my children.

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 – 1 teaspoon menthol crystals
1 oz beeswax pastilles
15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
10 drops peppermint essential oil
10 drops rosemary essential oil
2 drops tea tree essential oil
2 drops thyme essential oil

Heat the olive oil and beeswax in a double boiler until the beeswax has melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little. Add menthol crystals (1/2 tsp for a gentler balm, 1 tsp for a stronger product) and essential oils, stir, and quickly pour into jars. Immediately place lids loosely over the jars so that the oils do not escape. This balm will last for years, I have some that I made 7 years ago and it is still effective! 

Note: The menthol crystals may be irritating when inhaled so use in a well ventilated area.

No comments:

Post a Comment